Summer Skincare Tips for Acne-Prone Skin
Whoever came up with the idea that acne is just a teenage thing and that you’ll get over it when you hit adulthood needs a good talking to, because that’s absolutely not the case. For so many people, acne persists well into adulthood and can get so much worse as the summer months roll around. We love the sun, sea and warmth, but the irritation of acne-prone skin at that time can be a real bummer. That’s why June is Acne Awareness Month!
Acne can get so much worse in summer if the right steps aren’t taken to prevent and manage it. We call this “Seasonal Acne,” and it comes about when, in the sweltering summer months, the sticky pores in our acne-prone skin become even stickier. This leads to a build-up of dead skin cells and sebum (gross) under the skin, which results in inflamed pores – acne. It’s shiny, it’s red, it’s bumpy, and I think we could all do without it, so here are some of our top tips to treat Seasonal Acne this summer.
- Balance your skin, without drying it out. When a flare-up occurs, our skin can feel greasier and oilier, but don’t be tempted to use too many creams to treat that, as it will dry out your skin, and lead to more dead skin peeling off of it, which leads to more acne! Oily skin isn’t the same as dehydrated skin, but try our Antiac Face Wash to hydrate skin and keep it feeling fresh. Also, (it’s so obvious that it can be easy to forget) make sure to drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin form the inside, as well as out!
- Use the right sunscreen. Sunscreen, in summer months, is an absolute must, so make sure you’re using one that is compatible with acne-prone skin. A non-comedogenic product is an absolute must, as it won’t clog your pores and leave your skin sticky or oily.
- Just breathe. Giving skin time to air out in summer is so important. It is always tempting to cover up acne wherever possible but trying to cover too much can actually lead to more acne than you had before. Go for a more natural look and unleash the natural beauty of your face, while, at the same time, giving your skin time to recover and repair itself. Again, look for non-comedogenic products, ideally mineral-based, and avoid foundations that contain SD denatured alcohol (sometimes called isopropyl alcohol). This kind of alcohol harms your skin’s protective surface, makes oily skin worse, and exacerbates acne. Avoid it at all costs! One of our favourite makeup products is the Rosalique 3 in 1 Anti-Redness Miracle Formula from our sister company Rosalique. This green formula is not only effective at covering up redness, but also, it contains treatment properties that can help reduce inflammation and give you a lovely, summery glow. On top of that, it contains SPF50 so it removes the need for extra sun screen.
- Treat your body right. Acne isn’t only a face problem. It can also affect the back (bacne), arms, legs and chest, so make sure to wear soft, breathable fabrics if you’re trying to deal with a flare-up. Take the hit on the washing and change your clothes throughout the day if you feel yourself getting sweaty. Also, if you hit the beach, make sure not to sit around in wet clothes when you come out of the water. Little changes like that can make a big difference!
- In summertime, the diet takes a backseat. We all know it. We try our best between Christmas and the summer months but when the sun comes out, all bets are off. It’s ice cream, fizzy drinks and alcohol, with sugary marinades on the BBQ flaming away. Lovely on the lips, but those sugary or high-glycaemic foods can cause insulin spikes, prompting an uptick in sebum production. This, sadly, is a big contributor to acne flare-ups in the summer months. It’s hard (so, so hard, we know) but, if you can bear it, avoid those delicious sugary products in summer. Your waistline will thank you, as well as your skin!
Hopefully, this article has given you some helpful hints to keep your skin looking clean and fresh this summer. Try out of Antiac range to keep acne at bay and keep your eyes peeled for more skincare tips and hints on our blog!
Don't forget to check out our Antiac range. Especially designed for those with oily & acne prone skin. Containing clinically proven ingredients and effective natural extracts and oils, the Antiac range supports your skin back to find its own healthy balance.